[b-hebrew] Joseph's age

kenneth greifer greifer at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 13 16:14:58 EST 2007

Jim,

You think that Joseph's mother had to be alive because he dreamed that she would bow down to him in Genesis 37:9-10. Since she did not actually live to see him become ruler of Egypt, the dream would have been a false prophecy if she was alive or dead when he had the dream, because she never actually bowed down to him as a ruler to fulfill the prophecy.

I think that her maid was his adopted mother who fulfilled the prophecy. When the maids had kids for Rachel and Leah, they considered  the kids to be theirs (Rachel and Leah's kids.) Also, Genesis 37:2 says that Joseph watched the flocks with the sons of Bilhah and Zilpah, but that would have only been Gad, Asher, Dan, and Naphtali. Genesis 37 mentions Reuben and Judah being with the flocks too. Maybe all of them were there because their adopted mothers were Bilhah and Zilpah. Do you think only Joseph and the 4 maid's sons watched the flocks or all of them?

There is also the possibility that the sun or moon in Joseph's dream stood for Dinah, and that Jacob was wrong to think it was Joseph's mother, but I doubt this.

Kenneth Greifer