[b-hebrew] Proverbs 16:27

kenneth greifer greifer at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 11 08:44:55 EST 2007

Karl,

The word "furnace" (kaf vav resh) is used 9 or 10 times in the Tanakh, and you want two examples of it spelled without the vav, Proverbs 16:27 possibly, and then one more example for proof. I don't think a word that is used very rarely in the first place, is going to be spelled a rare way twice. I don't think that the vav was dropped very often in most words, so I doubt you can find that word with it twice.

I think you just don't like the idea of dividing letters differently. I like to look at all confusing quotes, and see if the letters can be divided differently, and not just once in a quote, but I try to divide all of the letters in some quotes many possible ways. I think that there are lots of quotes that could possibly be fixed this way.

I don't think scholars try to totally regroup the letters in confusing quotes, as far as I know. Maybe my idea is stupid or crazy or worth trying, but I think someone should try. Maybe people of the past were not that great at writing out more than a million letters over thousands of years in a language they didn't speak that much anymore. Also, the Tanakh is full of poetry that can say anything, and you can't always easily guess what every line says.

You can have a PhD and know every ancient Semitic language, and still not know for sure what a simple poem in ancient Hebrew says, if the letters are divided wrong by mistake.

Kenneth Greifer