[b-hebrew] Age of consonantal text, vocalization, and cantillation

Ken Penner ken.penner at acadiau.ca
Mon Dec 10 20:37:58 EST 2007

Yitzhak Sapir wrote:

> am not sure how you go about deciding that the vocalization
> tradition is somehow not as earlier as the consonantal text.

I would think such things as perpetual Qere, the vocalization of the Tetragrammaton, and the vocalization of Qal Passives as Puals would indicate the vowel points are not as ancient as the consonantal text. My work with Qumran texts has increased my confidence in the antiquity of the consonants of the MT and decreased my confidence in the antiquity of the vowels.

Ken

Ken M. Penner, Ph.D. (McMaster)
Acadia Divinity College
Dead Sea Scrolls scholars' list owner, http://mailman.mcmaster.ca/mailman/listinfo/g-megillot