[b-hebrew] Some points

pporta at oham.net pporta at oham.net
Mon Dec 10 01:00:49 EST 2007

1. Your mail still appears on my screen part in tiny letters and part in "regular size" letters. I will ask our network administrator for an explanation. Meanwhile I am switching from Helvetica to Verdana.

Thank you. Maybe it will be a way to solution.

2. Even though -AH is in my opinion but a contracted HI) it may refer to various agents and objects in various relationship modes. We have YALDAH, 'girl, child-she', YALDAH, 'she gave birth, produced-a-chid-she' and YALDAH, 'her boy, boy-she'.

In www.oham.net/out/S-t/S-t.html you will see many patterns --from S-t0115 till S-t0211- having H for their last letter: in all of them this letter is suffix. Unfortunately I cannot show you the explanations because they have not yet been sent to the net.
If you were interested in any of them tell me and I'll make an effort to put it on the net as soon as possible.

The same for www.oham.net/out/S-d/S-d.html
>From S-d0101 till S-d0128 --- all end in H

3. Corresponding to )I$ ZAR we have of course )I$A [not )I$AH] ZARAH, but DIRAH, 'apartment' is not the feminine of DIR, 'sty'. Someone announcing that he has a nice DIR on a quiet street will be the cause of immense merriment and derision, and will be long remembered in many a Purim party. Hebrew produces now different words [lexemes in polite circles] out of the same root by making "kind of" feminine counterparts, say, KBUDAH, 'luggage'.

Yes.

4. In the adjective TOBAH, 'good', -AH refers to the feminine bearer of the attribute, but in the noun TOBAH, 'favor, goodness', -AH refers to the thing itself. Incidentally it is "female", as is autostradah.

Yes.

5 The counterpart to MAR, 'mister' is MAR-AT, where -AT is surely the personal pronoun AT, 'you'. MARAH is 'bitter'. Such is also the relationship between GEBER and GBER-ET.

My dictionary says the right form is MARAH. The form ending in -T is the construct of MARAH as in Marat Natan, Mme Natan.

Best regards from

Pere Porta
Barcelona (Catalonia, Spain)

  Isaac Fried, Boston University