[b-hebrew] Explain it please

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Sun Dec 9 20:36:47 EST 2007

Pere,

1. Your mail still appears on my screen part in tiny letters and part
in "regular size" letters. I will ask our network administrator for
an explanation. Meanwhile I am switching from Helvetica to Verdana.
2. Even though -AH is in my opinion but a contracted HI) it may refer
to various agents and objects in various relationship modes. We have
YALDAH, 'girl, child-she', YALDAH, 'she gave birth, produced-a-chid-
she' and YALDAH, 'her boy, boy-she'.
3. Corresponding to )I$ ZAR we have of course )I$A [not )I$AH] ZARAH,
but DIRAH, 'apartment' is not the feminine of DIR, 'sty'. Someone
announcing that he has a nice DIR on a quiet street will be the cause
of immense merriment and derision, and will be long remembered in
many a Purim party. Hebrew produces now different words [lexemes in
polite circles] out of the same root by making "kind of" feminine
counterparts, say, KBUDAH, 'luggage'.
4. In the adjective TOBAH, 'good', -AH refers to the feminine bearer
of the attribute, but in the noun TOBAH, 'favor, goodness', -AH
refers to the thing itself. Incidentally it is "female", as is
autostradah.
5 The counterpart to MAR, 'mister' is MAR-AT, where -AT is surely the
personal pronoun AT, 'you'. MARAH is 'bitter'. Such is also the
relationship between GEBER and GBER-ET.

Isaac Fried, Boston University

On Dec 9, 2007, at 1:45 PM, <pporta at oham.net> <pporta at oham.net> wrote:

> Isaac,
>
> you mail is of a thick and dense content...
> Here and now I limit myself to ask you to explain in more deail
> this assertion of yours:
>
> it is not the -AH that merely turns PAR, 'bull' into PARAH, 'cow,
> PAR-she'.
>

> Simply, I do not understand what you mean by this (and I suppose
> many of listers don't either).
> Your words seem to defy evidence:
>
> a. zar, strange, foreign (male) (Ex 30:33) <> zarah, strange,
> foreign (female) (Ex 30:9)
> b. lavan, white (male) (Lev 13:4) <> l'vanah, white (female) (Lev
> 13:4)
> c. (modern Israeli Hebrew)
> mar, mister, sir <> marah, lady
> and so on...
>
> Do you mean that suffix -AH is used to mark the female but it is
> ALSO used for other purposes other than to mean the feminine?  Is
> this what you really mean by your assertion?
>
> Pere Porta
> Barcelona (Spain)
[cut]