[b-hebrew] The Name "Simeon"

Mike Tisdell Mike at netronix.com
Fri Dec 7 12:32:09 EST 2007

Jim Stinehart,

The biggest difficulty I see with your "pun" proposition is that neither
the 'sin' or the 'aleph' from the root 'sana' are weak letters i.e. these
letters are critical to the root. I can see no reason to accept the idea that
the author would have dropped those letter when constructing the name Simeon
if he had really intended to convey the meaning of 'sana'. Additionally as
others have pointed out the -on ending is not uncommon in Hebrew, so to make
a case for this instance being a derivative of 'sana' much more supporting
evidence would be required.

Mike Tisdell
San Jose, CA