[b-hebrew] The Name "Simeon"

pporta at oham.net pporta at oham.net
Fri Dec 7 00:36:32 EST 2007

Dear Jim,

With a quite constructive mind and with no intention of denying you may be
right in some sense, I would argue this against your analysis:

1. The word "Shim'on" lacks the aleph of "sana'", to hate. It consists only
of the very consonants of "shama'", to hear, plus a final -ON.
If you theory is true and sure... should not this aleph be part of the name
"Shim'on"?

2. The end syllable -ON is a quite usual end in biblical Hebrew and in today
Israeli Hebrew as well. It is that of several masculine nouns that usually
mean the fulfilment of the key concept of the word they come from. In no way
I see it is the N of "saNa'", to hate
_________

Now, in a little more detail:

About 1. How do you explain that the aleph of "sana'", to hate, does not
appear in the name "Shim'on"?
About 2.
a. YitrON, profit, outcome (Ecc 2:11), of "yatar" (this form not found in
the Bible but many other forms of this verb are found...), to remain over.
b. (K')pitrON, (as) interpretation (Gn 40:5), of "patar" (Gn 40:22), to
interpret
c. (w')xesrON, (and) lacking (Ecc 1:15), of  "xaser", to lack (1Ki 17:16)
d. zikarON, memorial (Ex 17:14), of "zakhar", to remember (Ec 9:15)
And in modern Hebrew:
e. shiltON, government
f. gizrON, etimology
g. kisharON, skill....
h. and....... many others.

What can you say as a replay to these main two points that defy your
analysis?

Pere Porta
Barcelona (Spain)