[b-hebrew] Plural verbs/adjectives modifying Elokim

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Tue Dec 4 23:48:37 EST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tory Thorpe" <torythrp at yahoo.com>
> The Greek LXX is significant here. 2 Sam. 8:18, in the Greek (= 2 Kgs
> 8:18),
> does not say David's sons were priests: KAI OI UIOI DAUID AULARXAI HSAN,
> "and the sons of David were princes of the court." This seems to  point to
> a Hebrew
> vorlage different from the MT of 2 Sam. 8:18.
>
> Hag Sameach
>
> Tory Thorpe

Perhaps, although in this case I think that the LXX translator (or a later
editor - remember that our oldest mss. of the LXX are centuries later) had
the same problem with the Samuel text as did the Chronicler and "solved" it
in a similar way. He may have even had the Chronicles text in mind. The
Targum Jonathan does the same, translating "Kohanim" as "Ravrevin".

Yigal Levin