[b-hebrew] Plural verbs/adjectives modifying Elokim

Yosef Shalom yossiyeshua at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 4 21:38:54 EST 2007

Kenneth,

I never took the two passages as implying David actually prayed the prayer twice in both forms.

What I take it as is that David said it originally as in Samuel, and then later when the Chronicler recorded it, he did so without the plural, since it had no bearing on the essential meaning of the passage and was more in line with the normal appearance of Elohim with singular verbs.

kenneth greifer <greifer at hotmail.com> wrote:
Yosef,

If 2 Samuel 7:23 and 1 Chronicles 17:21 say the same thing, but one is in plural, and the other is in singular, maybe one of them has mistakes, even if you don't know which one. I doubt King David said the same thing twice, once in plural and once in singular.

Kenneth