[b-hebrew] Study on energic nun ter

pporta at oham.net pporta at oham.net
Tue Dec 4 01:29:44 EST 2007

Pere,

Do you really believe that the ancient Hebrews had something that we are compelled to fancifully call today "energic nun"? You are saying that this nun is inserted. But is it not the reverse, namely, that this nun was there in the first place and then over time dropped out of the form? Should we then mark and call the vacated spot "the dropped energic nun fault line", or something else to this effect?

When I write "energic nun" I follow the path of grammars and dictionaries at use on this subject. I do not know if this "energic" nun was there first and it dropped over time out of the form...
(By the way I wonder if there is any way to know this: was the nun first? did it come after (supposedly, after -hu)?

At putting my question I assumed that the "normal", so to say, form is ending "hu", while ending "nu" would be somewhat special, unusual... perhaps reserved or restricted to some given special emphatic cases, etc.  That's why I asked.

Now, if you state that every consonant in Hebrew is either root consonant or personal pronoun... and since, methink, this "energic" nun is, of itself, neither root consonant nor personal pronoun, please tell the list: which is the true role of this "energic" nun within your theory?

Pere Porta
Barcelona (Spain)

  Isaac Fried, Boston University