[b-hebrew] Book of Judith

Shoshanna Walker rosewalk at concentric.net
Mon Dec 3 09:17:43 EST 2007

That can't be a reason - the Anshei Knesset HaGedolah did not
consider "baptism" required by Jewish law, as such.  There were
certain times, especially for women, that a person was required to
immerse in a mikva, but it was not "baptism" in the non-Jewish sense.

Shoshanna

Regarding canonicity, Moore (in ABD) suggests a few reasons it was
rejected:  Judith was too liberated; Achior was an Ammonite; Achior
was not baptized. The latter is considered most likely.

Ken

Ken M. Penner, Ph.D. (McMaster)
Acadia/Greek&Hebrew
Greek, Hebrew, Aramaic vocabulary memorization software:
http://purl.org/net/kmpenner/flash