[b-hebrew] Was Schewa really silent?

JAMES CHRISTIAN READ JCR128 at student.anglia.ac.uk
Thu Aug 30 17:00:20 EDT 2007

Hi all,

recent discussions have reminded me of a point which I
have never really fully resolved in my mind. The whole
point of the Massoretic pointing system was to preserve
the pronunciation by introducing *non ambiguous*
representation of vowels.

Why would the massoretes betray this goal by giving
the point which represents Schewa a dual role? And so,
I guess what I'm really asking is, is there any real
evidence that Schewa was used by the Massoretes to
close a syllable rather than to represent a vowel?

http://www.lamie.org/hebrew       -  thesis1: concept driven machine translation using the Aleppo codex
http://www.lamie.org/lad-sim.doc  -  thesis2: language acquisition simulation