[b-hebrew] Matres Lectionis and critical analysis

K Randolph kwrandolph at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 13:44:10 EDT 2007

Peter:

On 8/29/07, Peter Bekins <pbekins at fuse.net> wrote:
> Karl,

> >>...However, some words were always written certain ways,
> >>e.g. )LHYM always includes the yod, the same with )Y$...
>
> Barr and Anderson-Forbes both include lists of words with standardized
> spelling. I would also add that certain morphemes are always spelled plene
> such as the masculine plural noun marker -YM.

Slight correction. Though they are rare, there are a few examples of
the masc. pl. noun marker lacking the medial Yod. I don't remember off
the top of my head where they are found, but I remember the first time
I ran across one while reading the unpointed text, it added a couple
of lines to my forehead.

> ... So there was a certain amount
> of standardization. But for most words that could possibly have a mater (or
> two) in a medial position there is no discernible "system".

Not only no discernible system, but they tend to be omitted rather
than included.

> Peter Bekins

Thanks again, Karl W. Randolph.