[b-hebrew] "Mizan el zan" in Ps. 144:13

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Wed Aug 29 11:13:25 EDT 2007

Yigal,

The Hebrew root ZV is a member of the root family: DV [DOV], ZB
[ZOV], ZV [ZIV], TV [TAV], TB [TOB], SB [SAB], $B [$UB], $V, CV, CB
[CAB], all betokening 'large, inflated, abundant'. This makes me
think that the MZAVEH, of the root ZV, of Psalms 144:13 is a large
covered earthen jar used to store grain against the ravages of mice.
 From time to time, methinks, smaller quantities of grain were taken
out into a handier ZAN, kind of CINCENET, for daily use. Thus,
MZAVEINU MLE)IM MPIKIM MIZAN EL ZAN
מְזָוֵינוּ מְלֵאִים מְפִיקִים
מִזַּן אֶל-זַן
seems to me to mean "our barrels [casks, grain containers] are
replete, replenishing our pitchers over and over".

The word ZAN in the sense of 'kind, sort' is related to $N [$INUI],
'difference, variation, deviation', as a ZONAH, 'harlot', is.
The -im in listim is just for the many, it has nothing to do with the
Greek lestes and Reish-Lakish's spurned occupation before he found
his true calling.

Isaac Fried, Boston University