[b-hebrew] uncovering Boaz' 'footsies'

Bill Rea bsr15 at cantsl.it.canterbury.ac.nz
Tue Aug 28 16:50:04 EDT 2007

Dave wrote:-

>"unknowingly"???  Unless Boaz was dead drunk at the time, and there's not
>even a hint in the text that he had imbibed so much as a drop,

Ruth 3:7: And when Boaz had eaten and drunk, and his heart was merry, he
went to lie down ... (KJV)

Ruth 3:7 Boaz ate and drank and being tipsy, he went and lay down ...
(my paraphrase)

The phrase ``his heart was merry'' is a common euphemism for having
drunk enough alcohol to be at least a bit tipsy if not outright drunk.
Which is why in my rather non-literal translation I put that he was
tipsy.

Bill Rea, ICT Services, University of Canterbury \_
E-Mail bill.rea at canterbury.ac.nz                </   New
Phone 64-3-364-2331, Fax  64-3-364-2332        /)  Zealand
Unix Systems Administrator                    (/'