[b-hebrew] uncovering Boaz' 'footsies' was Samson at Gaza - Judges 16:1

B. M. Rocine brocine at twcny.rr.com
Sun Aug 26 22:48:27 EDT 2007

Hi George,

You wrote,

> Secondly, Naomi is not as old as you think. At the end of the book, she is
> able to nurse (suckle) her grandson. That tells me she's not that old. That
> also tells me that much of what she says is mere rhetoric.

The usual word for nursing (as in breast feeding) is _meyneqet_.  Is is
not used of Naomi.  Ruth 4:16 says Naomi became her grandson's
_'omenet_, which means something more like a nanny or foster mother (as
in a supporter).  It was impossible for Naomi to nurse unless she had
herself fairly recently given birth which is unlikely since she says, "I
am too old to be married. Even if I thought there was hope for me, even
if I were married tonight and I also bore sons, should you wait for them
to grow up?"

Shalom,
Bryan

--