[b-hebrew] Proverbs 13:1 (was Using an unpointed text)

JAMES CHRISTIAN READ JCR128 at student.anglia.ac.uk
Sat Aug 25 20:29:26 EDT 2007

For what it's worth I just thought I'd through the LXX
tradition into the debate. According to the text
presented at
http://septuagint.org/LXX/Proverbs/Proverbs13.html
the traditional understanding of the LXX translators was
υιος πανουργος υπηκοος πατρι υιος δε ανηκοος εν απωλεια
or in plain English that the son was the object of the
contrast.

Also the Vulgate translation offers Filius sapiens
doctrina patris; qui autem illusor est non audit cum
arguitur. This can be seen online at
http://www.sacred-texts.com/bib/vul/pro013.htm
Again, as can be seen, the same tradition of the son
being the object of the contrast is evident.

Also the pointing tradition at the time of the Masoretes
also favours the object of contrast being the son as can
be seen by using Chris's online pointed Leningrad
Codex http://www.tanach.us/Tanach.xml#Prov13:1-13:1

I'm not saying that either the Vulgate, the LXX or the
Masoretic traditions are infallible but I don't see any
compelling reasons to stray from these traditions as a
result of reading the text unpointed.

http://www.lamie.org/hebrew       -  thesis1: concept driven machine translation using the Aleppo codex
http://www.lamie.org/lad-sim.doc  -  thesis2: language acquisition simulation
http://www.lamie.org/ngelta