[b-hebrew] Using an unpointed text

JAMES CHRISTIAN READ JCR128 at student.anglia.ac.uk
Sat Aug 25 18:48:16 EDT 2007

YS: But see, the argument here is to read the text without
the guidance of tradition (Massora).

JCR: I don't recall anyone ever saying we should abandon
the data we can retrieve for the massoretic text. This
text gives us a wealth of information about what were
considered to be variant pronunciations of the same
consonantal sequences.

The only claim I recall being made is that the habit of
reading unpointed text gives a reader a better
preparation for spotting and being able to resolve
potential ambiguities to a closer level of ease of that
of a native hebrew reader and therefore be better
prepared for reading rich archeological finds like the
DSS. Is there any reason you have for disagreeing with
such a claim? Or would you rather persist in debating a
straw man argument with yourself?

http://www.lamie.org/hebrew       -  thesis1: concept driven machine translation using the Aleppo codex
http://www.lamie.org/lad-sim.doc  -  thesis2: language acquisition simulation
http://www.lamie.org/ngelta