[b-hebrew] Using an unpointed text

JAMES CHRISTIAN READ JCR128 at student.anglia.ac.uk
Sat Aug 25 12:43:52 EDT 2007

Hi Peter,

PB: In short, it is my opinion that if you are reading unpointed text,
but not coming up with some sort of pronunciation, and instead moving
directly to English, you are not really reading but ad-hoc
translating. The goal of reading unpointed text is to be able to read
lexically without being slowed down by moving through all of the
vowel points phonetically. And of course there are all sorts of
exceptions and nuances to be made to my distinction between "reading"
and "ad-hoc translating" so take it as a general statement.

JCR: I agree, in principle, with what you are saying
and would not suggest for a minute that associating
English words with Hebrew consonant clusters is the
'right' way to learn to read Hebrew. I was just
stating why I didn't find his suggestions to be
ludicrous but plausible.

I agree with learning Hebrew pronunciations for
Hebrew words, no matter how approximate those
pronunciations may be, because with the exception of
concrete nouns (e.g. names of specific animals) and
a few commonly used verbs (e.g. eat, drink, sleep)
there is rarely a 100% 1:1 mapping between words in
one language and words in another. Having a Hebrew
phonetic label to attach to a Hebrew concept allows
the reader to create his own unique, cognitive
understanding of the Hebrew concept without all the
baggage of being limited by limitations of expression
that exist in their first language.

http://www.lamie.org/hebrew       -  thesis1: concept driven machine translation using the Aleppo codex
http://www.lamie.org/lad-sim.doc  -  thesis2: language acquisition simulation
http://www.lamie.org/ngelta