[b-hebrew] Karl's lexicon

K Randolph kwrandolph at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 10:09:10 EDT 2007

James:

On 8/25/07, JAMES CHRISTIAN READ <JCR128 at student.anglia.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hi Karl,
>
> KWR: Making a quick electronic count of irregular forms and forms which could come from two or more sources, I got a result of 777 entries in my dictionary. The problem is that I know I am missing many such forms.
>
> JCR: How did you make such an automated count?

I have a special symbol used only to indicate either an irregular form
or word that can come from two or more sources. It's mentioned in the
introduction to my dictionary.

> KWR: Because I don't know data base programming, I don't understand how this would work.
>
> JCR: I actually made a mistake. A database table is basically a set of rows (each row is unique) with columns. The columns hold different pieces of information. To achieve the functionality you suggest we would need to have one massive table with two columns. The first column would be the word we are looking up. The second column would be the root it is derived from. When looking for the definition of a word found in the text the application would ask the database to return the row which has the word in its first field. Taking the root from the second column it would be able to query a second table dedicated to your dictionary entries to return the desired definition.

I can understand where there are alternate spellings, I would have to
have an entry for each of the alternate spellings. But what about
where a spelling can come from two or more sources? For example, Y$B
would have to pull up three entries, Y$B, $BH and $WB because Y$B is
found as a derivative from all three roots. It's the context that
tells which root is the one to use. Moreover, it could be a 3rd p. s.
qal imp. or a participle or a ... depending on which root and part of
speech it has in the sentence. There are many such examples. How would
your database deal with those?

> James Christian Read - BSc Computer Science
> http://www.lamie.org/hebrew - thesis1: concept driven machine translation using the Aleppo codex
> http://www.lamie.org/lad-sim.doc - thesis2: language acquisition simulation

Karl W. Randolph.