[b-hebrew] quotes with uncertain Hebrew meanings

K Randolph kwrandolph at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 13:42:43 EDT 2007

Kenneth:

In my dictionary, I list by electronic count 721 words where the
linguistic data is insufficient for us to be certain of their
meanings. Many of those words are listed a second time under roots,
and a few also in lists of synonyms, but that still leaves an
estimated excess of 300 discrete lexical items where there is question
as to their meanings. That would account for at least some of the
uncertain meanings that you question about.

On 8/23/07, kenneth greifer <greifer at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I saw a Tanakh once with footnotes that said "Hebrew meaning is uncertain"
> about quotes on almost every page of the book. Does anyone know how many
> quotes in the Tanakh have uncertain Hebrew meanings? From looking at that
> book, I would guess there were one or two thousand quotes like that.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Kenneth Greifer

How many of the uncertain readings are the result of what I misname
"sloppy lexicography"? How many are due to traditions in understanding
that don't match the text? How many are due to theological
presuppositions? How many are due to true uncertainties in the text?
Etc.?

Karl W. Randolph.