[b-hebrew] Deuteronomy 21:23 Who is cursed?

michaelabernat9001 at sbcglobal.net michaelabernat9001 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Aug 22 14:56:06 EDT 2007

> MA: While I appreciate your answer, I am not all that certain that Elohim
> is in
> a construct relationship.
>
> JCR: Why not? Just because of the JPS translation?
Probably. I didn't recognize the construct form of cursed and didn't have a
lexicon handy to check it out.
I should have taken the time to look it up. However, I do find some of the
alternative interpretations interesting.
As Keil and Delitzsch interprets this, the hanged man is not cursed but is a
curse of God upon the land .
The Jewish translations I've been able to access take it that hanging a man
is an insult against God. I haven't been able
to find any scripture where this translation of  קִלְלַת can be shown to be
normative. Perhaps, someone will point that out to me.

Sincerely,
Michael Abernathy