[b-hebrew] Deuteronomy 21:23 Who is cursed?

michaelabernat9001 at sbcglobal.net michaelabernat9001 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Aug 22 13:34:19 EDT 2007

While I appreciate your answer, I am not all that certain that Elohim is in
a construct relationship. Note the JPS translation, "for
he that is hanged is an affront to God." And the comment by Rashi  "It is an
affront to the king, for man is fashioned in His image, and the Israelites
are His children. This is compared to twin brothers who were identical to
each other. One became king, and one was apprehended as a thief and hanged.
Everyone who saw him exclaimed, 'The king has been hanged!' [The king issued
a command, and he was brought down.]"

It looks to me like this is ambiguous and could be taken either way.
Nevertheless, one reference commented that קִלְלַת is consistently
understood as slighting or insulting someone.

As to the NWT, I think Yoda would have found this completely natural.
Sincerely,
Michael Abernathy