[b-hebrew] "irregularities" in Ancient/Modern Hebrew,

cmeadows3 at verizon.net cmeadows3 at verizon.net
Sun Aug 19 13:25:50 EDT 2007

Joel,

>The almost universal observation that ancient languages had fewer
>irregularities that modern ones do (Classical Latin vs. Italian,
>Biblical Hebrew vs. Modern Hebrew, Classical Greek vs. Modern Greek,
>etc.) probably simply refelct our poorer knowledge of the ancient
>languages compared to the modern ones.

You make a great point here.  I have always wondered why this seems to be the case.  Could it have something to do with the fact that the written specimens we have correspond more to "formal language" - which would have selectively reflected the use of language by those who actually could read and write?