[b-hebrew] final alef

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Sat Aug 18 17:23:48 EDT 2007

I tend to agree - the aleph is there because it was meant to be pronounced
as a gluttal stop (not as a "silent letter"). From both the Bible and
especially inscriptions, it would seem that the mater lectionis that was
used for the final "O" (once these entered Hebrew orthography) was actually
he (as preserved in names such as "Shiloh" and "Shelomoh"). Also, what's the
relationship between l) (lamed aleph) and l)w (lamed aleph waw)? Is the
former an abbreviation of the latter? Or was l) spelt with an aleph to
distinguish it from its homonym lw (lamed waw) - "for/to him"?

As long as Uri brought modern Hebrew into the discussion, an interesting
fact: in modern Hebrew, when one wishes to emphasize a word in speach, one
will often say the word and then add "im ---- rabbatti!" - "with a
big ----!" - the "---" being the initial letter of the emphasized word.
There's no question in my mind that this expression was taken directly from
European languages, probably from English, as in "No with a capital N!".
However, in the case of the word "no", the common expression is "Lo im aleph
rabbatti!", emphasizing the second letter in the word, that distinguishes l)
from lw.

Yigal Levin