[b-hebrew] Masoretic Pointing and CV-syllables

Peter Bekins pbekins at fuse.net
Sat Aug 18 15:16:57 EDT 2007

Karl,

Yes, that is sort of what I was implying. The other example is $FW:).
These forms reflect spoken language which suggests that the Masoretes
were, at least in part, recording a tradition of pronunciation and
not arbitrarily creating and applying phonological rules, otherwise
we would expect these forms to have become segholates. To be sure,
the Masoretes did synthesize phonological rules, and there is some
levelling of the text because of this, but the text does provide
important historical data.

BTW, you mentioned your difficulty in reading Mishnaic Hebrew.
Mishnaic Hebrew is heavily influenced by Aramaic, in fact in some
rabbinic passages the language switches back and forth between the
two (which is fun when you are a beginning student). There are also
some Greek loanwords  thrown in here and there. If you had studied
some Aramaic or Syriac along with your Biblical Hebrew then you
probably should have been able to figure it out, but I wouldn't quite
make the analogy BH:MH as KJV:NIV.

Pete