[b-hebrew] The 'need' for a king?

Shoshanna Walker rosewalk at concentric.net
Thu Aug 16 18:23:10 EDT 2007

Of course G-d gives prophecies about the consequences of human sin.
Look at Parshat Ki Tavo.

If you are implying here that G-d gives a prophecy that Israel will
ask for a king because they want to be like other nations, and that
this is a sin, and that the commandment to appoint a king, therefore,
is a consequence (ie; punishment) of their sinning by asking to be
like other nations, that is not the understanding of our
thousands-of-years-old tradition.

Appointing a king, having a king, is certainly no punishment.  The
punishment would be, rather, if we were so undeserving, NOT to have a
proper leader (like today, maybe?).

Shoshanna