[b-hebrew] The 'need' for a king?

Shoshanna Walker rosewalk at concentric.net
Wed Aug 15 23:15:17 EDT 2007

No, it is a prophecy.

In his farewell address to his people, Moses prophesied:

"When you come into the land which the Lord your God is giving you
and inherit it and live in it, and you say, 'Let us appoint over me a
king like all the nation around me,' [then] you will appoint over
yourself a king whom the Lord your God shall choose. From among your
brothers are you to appoint over yourself a king, you may not appoint
over yourself a foreigner who is not your bother." (Deut. 17:14-15)

It is EVEN prophesied that the people will ask for a king "like all
the nations around"

Ramban expounds on this, he says that though it IS a commandment, it
is not written in the form of a command, because:

  "...It is my further opinion that this is also one of his (Moses')
allusions to FUTURE events, for so it happened when the people asked
for Saul..."   "...But this is an allusion to what WILL BE, and
therefore this section is written in an intermediate tense [and not
in the form of a command], as I have already explained"

"Ki Tavo" = when you WILL come to the land, similar to Devarim 26:1
(It will be when you enter the Land...) and Devarim 21:10 (When you
will go out to war...)

Shoshanna