[b-hebrew] The 'need' for a king?

K Randolph kwrandolph at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 01:08:58 EDT 2007

John and Shoshanna:

I disagree that YHWH intended that Israel have a king. It is certain
that the people did not attain greater maturity when they had a king.
Rather, by the time of Jeremiah, with a king, the people reached
levels of apostasy far worse than anything listed under the judges.
Rather, YHWH allowed the people to have a king should they demand it,
but should they choose to have one, he and the people should follow
certain rules concerning kingship.

Reading Deuteronomy 17:14, I understand the verse to be more in the
optative sense, like Genesis 4:12, 24, Leviticus 25:25 and many other
verses with a similar construction, it certainly is not a command. The
sentence structure is wrong for it to be a command. What follows is
that if the people choose to have a king, these are the rules you and
he should follow. But the history, even starting with the first king,
is that neither the king nor the people followed those rules to the
letter.

Karl W. Randolph.