[b-hebrew] Samson at Gaza - Judges 16:1

K Randolph kwrandolph at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 23:39:58 EDT 2007

Dear Bryant:

On 8/14/07, Bryant J. Williams III <bjwvmw at com-pair.net> wrote:
> Dear Dave,
>
> I agree with your assessment of the period of the Judges, but I would say that
> there is a downward spiral of the leadership, the Levites AND the people. There
> was a total meltdown. The best example would be the problems with the near
> destruction of an entire tribe in chapters 19-21. The recurring phrases of
> "there was no king in Israel" and "every one did right in his own eyes" indicate
> that "Keeping the Law of Moses" (including Deuteronomy) was not being done.

One of the signs that there was a moral meltdown is that the
succeeding times of occupation by a foreign nation tended to get
longer the later it occurred.

However, of the judges, while many were described in detail as flawed,
the last one was exemplary, namely Samuel. But even good judges could
not stop the downward spiral, just as later, good kings could not stop
the continued downward spiral.

> .... It
> continues in Ruth and I & II Samuel (books also written to justify the Davidic
> legitimacy over Israel).

I doubt that these books were written "to justify the Davidic
legitimacy over Israel", rather they were written to record historical
events in the light of theological correctness.

> It is quite evident that the men judges were somewhat effective in ending the
> captivity of the various tribes, but were seriously flawed as has been
> mentioned. The one real exception to all the Judges was Deborah. (Does NOT put
> us men in a very good light does it?) But that is what the Word of God has
> always done: to show the truth about all mankind with all their sinfulness
> including Abraham (lying), Isaac (lying; stubbornness), Jacob/Israel (too
> numerous to count), the Sons of Jacob (same as Jacob), Moses (murder; anger),
> David (adultery, anger, murder), etc., yet most of them are written in the Hall
> of Faith in Hebrew 11.

Many of the judges were not described in detail, merely named and how
long they judged. But that the first judge and savior named was a
foreigner who had joined himself to Israel, Othniel the nephew of
Caleb, indicates that he probably followed in his uncle's faithful
footsteps.

> En Xristwi,
>
> Rev. Bryant J. Williams III

Karl W. Randolph.