[b-hebrew] Samson at Gaza - Judges 16:1

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Mon Aug 13 15:47:47 EDT 2007

Dear Bruce,

We must be very careful not to superimpose "our" morals (Christian, Jewish
or otherwise) on biblical narative. The Hebrew text says that Samson "came
to" the prostitute, which in every other case that I can think of means that
he had sex with her. And while this may not be the sort of behavior that one
would expect of a pious individual, it certainly does not make him "a bad
man". Prostitution was (and unfortunately still is) a fact of life, and most
of the characters in the Bible are pictured as "regular folk". Samson was a
wild cannon, but he was God's instrument in saving Israel at that time.

Your comment about "Christendom paints Samson as a bad man" is interesting.
How representative is that statement of different Christian denominations.
Jewish tradition pictures him very differently. In this particular case, the
Targum (the ancient Jewish Aramaic translation) renders "zonah" as
"innkeeper" (just like with Rahab) and this is followed by the commentators,
keeping Samson "clean".

On the site of biblical Zorah, in the hills northwest of Beth-Shemesh, there
is an old grave which somebody "identified" several decades ago as the "tomb
of Samson and his father Manoah" (cf. Judges 16:31). Whether it "really" is
or is not is not important - there have been other candidates over the
years. If you ever visit the site, you may well meet people praying at the
"tomb", asking the "pious man" to intervene in heaven on their behalf. And
on the grave there is an inscription that says: "Here lie Samson and his
father Manoah, a messiah in his generation".

BTW, despite what they may have told you in Sunday school (and what they
tell my kids in shcool!), Joshua 2:1 at least hints at the fact that the
spies entered Rahab's house "and lay there". "Lay" usually means what it
sounds like, but most translations tend to use more "polite" language there
as well.

Yigal Levin