[b-hebrew] (no subject)

Peter Kirk peter at qaya.org
Fri Aug 10 18:52:15 EDT 2007

On 10/08/2007 19:36, Bryant J. Williams III wrote:
> Dear Jerry, et al,
>
> I changed my settings in Outlook Express by going to Tools, Options. This will
> bring the entire Option file up. Choose the Read tab, and then click on the
> International Setting, Click on UTF-8 Unicode, then check the Default. This
> allows the system to receive all messages in UTF-8 Unicode. Click OK, then go to
> Font. Font Settings choose Unicode. On the Proportional Font use Arial Unicode
> MS. Encoding should be UTF-8. Default encoding: should be Unicode.
>
> Finally, under the Send tab, Click on International Settings and choose UTF-8
> Unicode. Check the Right to Left box if you want to (I don't unless needed).
> Under the Compose tab, after choosing the type of font you want (I use 9 pt.
> Arial Unicode MS) for Mail/News settings. That should help with the reading of
> the list both of Hebrew and Greek fonts.

You don't need Arial Unicode MS for non-accented Hebrew, and it is a
horrible font in many other ways. Pointed but non-accented Hebrew is
legibly displayed with any of the Microsoft core fonts e.g. Arial
(regular version), Times New Roman, in the versions distributed with
Windows XP. Tahoma supports polytonic (classical) Greek as well as
Hebrew. For fully legible fully pointed Hebrew you should download SBL
Hebrew or Ezra SIL.

But the real requirement is for language settings to support Hebrew.

E-mail:  peter at qaya.org
Blog:    http://www.qaya.org/blog/
Website: http://www.qaya.org/