[b-hebrew] weekly vs. festival sabbath

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Mon Aug 6 00:34:14 EDT 2007

Dear Kwon,

In theory, yes. This is why some Jewish and related groups, such as the
Saducees, Samaritans and Karites celebrate the Pentecost, or Shavuot, on the
seventh Sunday after the Sabbath of the Passover. However the
Pharisic/Rabbinic tradition on which mainstream Judaism is based,
interpreted this one particular "Shabbath" as referring to the festival
itself, giving the Shavuot festival a set date (6 Sivan). Why did they do
this? As Shoshanna would say, "Oral Torah".

Yigal Levin

The Ariel University Center, Samaria
(and various others : -)