[b-hebrew] Sign Your Messages Please

Shoshanna Walker rosewalk at concentric.net
Sun Aug 5 20:37:27 EDT 2007

I would like to politely add - to be fair and to present the whole
picture - that Jewish Biblical scholars/commentaries were also
"professional Hebrew scholars" and linguists, and that they all
referred to each others' "reference works", that they, too, command
great and very very longstanding respect, and I truly hope that the
fact that there were not PhD degrees given out at that time, many
hundreds of years ago, will not prejudice the members of this list
towards the belief that their teachings are those of "amateurs".

Shoshanna

...On this list professional Hebrew scholars co-exist with
amateurs....

As an example of when such information may be helpful is when
one of these non-standard views are advanced. One may choose
to place more weight on a view which comes from a tenured
academic with a Ph.D. than an amateur who refuses to buy or
read standard reference works. Of course, you are also free
to disregard all such information.

Bill Rea, ICT Services, University of Canterbury \_
E-Mail bill.rea at canterbury.ac.nz                </   New
Phone 64-3-364-2331, Fax  64-3-364-2332        /)  Zealand
Unix Systems Administrator                    (/'