[b-hebrew] 1 Sam 17:16

Peter Bekins pbekins at fuse.net
Sun Aug 5 15:10:32 EDT 2007

Karl,

I have not followed the thread you quoted, so forgive me if I am off
point or repetitive.

I looked back at my notes from my Classical Hebrew narrative class
when we read through this section of Samuel. As you mention, both H
$KM and H(RB, are pointed as "verbs" - hif inf abs. As the inf abs is
largely used as a verbal complement,  we understood this as an
adverbial phrase, probably a hendiadys, which would be translated by
a prepositional phrase in English as "from early in the morning until
late at night" (see HALOT, under $KM entry 1d).

The Targum to Samuel (which would be Jonathon) translates both as
aphel participles, which corroborates the Masoretic pointing, though
it does not prove the issue, only that they were probably translating
from the MT.

I would not be inclined to read the two words as nouns since $KM only
refers to rising early in the hifil binyan, thus a noun built on the
root would reflect that mishkal, ie with some sort of prefix. $KM as
a noun already refers widely in Semitic to the shoulders or back of
the neck. If the inf abs were being used as a substantive I think we
would need another H for the article.

Of course, this is the only occurrence of (RB as a hifil verb
referring to doing something late at night, but it is a logical
extension and I would be more inclined to read it as parallel to H
$KM, rather than the other way around.

Peter Bekins
Grad Student, Bible and Comparative Semitics
Hebrew Union College, Cincinnati, OH