[b-hebrew] Eccles 2:3

B. M. Rocine brocine at twcny.rr.com
Sat Apr 28 20:05:55 EDT 2007

Hi Pastor Ron,

The first clause of the Hebrew Masoretic Text reads:

tartiy belibbit limshok bayyayin 'et besariy

notice _'et besariy_ at the end.  It means "my flesh" and is the direct
object of the infinitive _limshok_, so the entire Hebrew clause has,
word-by word

I-explored   in-my-heart   to-pull   with-wine   my-flesh.

I could take take the idiom "to pull my flesh" to mean "to test my
capabilities" or "to see what my body could take."

There is some dispute over the Hebrew word _limshok_, the thinking that
it should be read _lismok_ "to sustain" or _lesammmex_ "to make happy,"
but I think it reads pretty well as _limshok_.

My translation: "I ventured to test my capabilities with wine."

Hoping to help.

Shalom,
Bryan