[b-hebrew] AGES/DATING of Ancient OT Translations that you Cited ?

Philip philipengmann at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 28 08:53:30 EDT 2007

Thank you, Peter.

  I would also be interested in the AGES of the various ancient translations that you have cited below.

  Best regards,

  Philip

Peter Kirk <peterkirk at qaya.org> wrote:
  On 26/04/2007 12:48, Philip wrote:
> Dear Peter, (2 years later), Are the other translations that you cite below complete manuscripts? or only fragments?
>
> ... If we are looking at translations, why is only the LXX mentioned? It is not the only ancient translation, although it may be the oldest. There are for example a variety of Aramaic (= Targums) and Syriac versions, as well as variant Greek texts, which deserve mention alongside the LXX. The Latin Vulgate is also an important witness because it is known to have been translated from the Hebrew long before the existing MT MSS. There are also Arabic, Ethiopic, Armenian, Coptic etc translations to be considered. -- Peter Kirk

Philip, I don't know if all of these ancient translations are complete
for the whole Hebrew Bible. I'm not sure that there is a complete
ancient Arabic translation, and I don't think there are complete Greek
texts apart from what we know as LXX. But I understand Latin (Vulgate),
Aramaic, Syriac, Ethiopic, Coptic and Armenian to be complete or
essentially so, preserved by religious communities which continue to use
them. None of these are "only fragments". Maybe others know the details
better than me.

E-mail: peter at qaya.org
Blog: http://www.qaya.org/blog/
Website: http://www.qaya.org/