[b-hebrew] Psalm 8: 6[5] Teaterehu

Yitzhak Sapir yitzhaksapir at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 13:09:16 EDT 2007

On 4/25/07, Peter Kirk wrote:
> On 24/04/2007 11:39, Yitzhak Sapir wrote:
> > I have no idea where Isaac got Taatryihu, but the word in discussion is
> > pronounced ta(at'-t'aRE:-hu: because before a guttural the schewa
> > takes the vowel quality of the guttural.
> >

> Did you in fact mean that the schewa takes the quality of the vowel
> following the guttural, or of the vowel point associated with the
> guttural? Doesn't the same rule apply also to regular consonants? It
> seems to me that Uri disagreed with you because he thought you were
> referring to some intrinsic vowel quality of the guttural itself,
> presumably the "a" vowel which is most commonly found before and after
> gutturals.

I have dealt with this more in the following:
http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/b-hebrew/2007-January/031206.html

To clarify:
A schewa before a guttural letter that is vocalized with patax is
pronounced like a patax.
A schewa before all other letters except yodh is pronounced as
a patax regardless of the vocalization of that letter with the
exception of qutl plurals ("qodo$im").  These have usually already
been handled by replacing the schewa with a hataf-qamats.

I personally believe that this rule of realization originally affected
all cases, not just gutturals.

Yitzhak Sapir