[b-hebrew] Psalm 8: 6[5] Teaterehu

Peter Kirk peter at qaya.org
Wed Apr 25 06:24:03 EDT 2007

On 24/04/2007 11:39, Yitzhak Sapir wrote:
> I have no idea where Isaac got Taatryihu, but the word in discussion is
> pronounced ta(at'-t'aRE:-hu: because before a guttural the schewa takes
> the vowel quality of the guttural.

Did you in fact mean that the schewa takes the quality of the vowel
following the guttural, or of the vowel point associated with the
guttural? Doesn't the same rule apply also to regular consonants? It
seems to me that Uri disagreed with you because he thought you were
referring to some intrinsic vowel quality of the guttural itself,
presumably the "a" vowel which is most commonly found before and after
gutturals.

E-mail:  peter at qaya.org
Blog:    http://www.qaya.org/blog/
Website: http://www.qaya.org/