[b-hebrew] labo' lepaney and Gen 6:13

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Tue Apr 24 22:32:04 EDT 2007

Bryan

I would freely translate Genesis 6:13 thus: Then God said to Noax: I
am contemplating (considering?) putting an end to all (KOL) life
because the land is replete with their rapacity; here now I am going
to destroy them (MA$XYITAM) all, completely (ET HA-AREC).

On the face of it, the rest is not very logical, however the net
result is the astounding promise of permanence, stability and
continuity given us in Genesis 8:21-22.

I admit that I am adding some literary padding of my own to this
tersely recounted event. Verses 5-7 of chapter 6 make it clear that
God truly regretted (VA-YI-NAXEM) having created life. Things got out
of hand, so to speak, post creationally. The immense complexity of
the intelligent, insatiable, self-sustaining, self-preserving life
turned out to give it a dark and ugly shade. Life has some
astoundingly positive manifestations, but there are plainly also some
that are on the negative side. God had to bribe man with a sense of
pleasure, but also give him pain, exacting thereby a steep price for
being alive. God apparently did not "foresee" the, possibly
nefarious, far reaching consequences of man's indispensable complex
corporal-emotional setup. Admittedly, God gave him the
counterbalancing gifts of love, justice and compassion, to act as
restraining forces to the syndromes of rapacity and desire, but their
check, we know, is not absolute. So God asks himself now "who needs
life", and he wants to do away with it. It is all His initiative. Man
does not have the wherewithal (nor the desire) to wipe himself out of
existence. The fact of the matter is that man as a whole, with all
his failings, is doing surprisingly well these days.

But it so happens that He can not do it---life is inevitable. By
creating the physical conditions needed to support life, God,
"unwittingly" and ab initio created life itself. Moreover, it is
possible that man really represent the ultimate of all biological
possibilities, and that God could not improve on him in the context
of his own creation. Man was, after all, created in the ultimate
shape and image.

BTW I find the here displayed range of meaning of the root $XT [T =
TAV] interesting. In verse 12 HI$XYIT is 'spoiled', but right in the
next verse it is 'destroy'.

Isaac Fried, Boston University