[b-hebrew] Nefesh - Breath or Breather

Brak Brak at neo.rr.com
Tue Apr 24 05:39:30 EDT 2007

Yigal Levin wrote:

>Dear "Brak" (or is it John? - please sign you posts in such a way that we
>know who we are answering),

If you look at the end of my email I do have it signed with my name,
John Steven, which is followed by a Fulton J. Sheen quote. Nowhere did
my email have the word Brak in it. So I'm not sure what you are
complaining about. I have no idea why you are seeing Brak, except for my
actual email address which is brak at neo.rr.com - so maybe its something
with your email client.

>Think of the expression "a living soul" in English. The "soul" is somthing
>that all living beings (or at least humans - I have no intention of opening
>up a debate on that) have - and so one may refer to all people as "living
>souls", as in, "I walked down the street, and there was not a living soul
>there".
>
>While Nefe$ Xayah is more "spirit" then "soul", the ancients considered a
>person's breathing as evidence of his being alive - thus the use of the same
>word for "spirit" and for "breath". "Ne$amah" has a similar meaning. So you
>might translate vss. 20, 21, 24 as "beathing, living creatures" (even for
>fish!), and 30 as "creatures with the breath of life".
>
>Yigal Levin

There is a lot of different opinions about what a soul is and things
related to that. For example as a SDA I believe that we are a soul - we
don't have one. But that is really niehter here nor there in regards to
my question.

Maybe I wasn't clear in my initial post, so allow me to restate my question:
Why is the identical phrase used and translated in two different ways -
in one passage as the item - in another passage as a possession. In Gen
1:20, 21, 24 a NEFE$ XAY.FH is the person, fish, bird, etc. But in 1:30
a NEFE$ XAY.FH is in the person, fish, bird, etc.
Is there some kind of grammer markings to indicate the change of usage
that I am not seeing. Its pointed the same in all examples listed. Also
a correction, in 1:21 its NEFE$ HAXAY.FH - so let remove that one for
discussion do to the difference.

So again why is the phrase NEFE$ XAY.FH treated different in 1:20,24
from 1:30?

B"H
John Steven

"If you don't behave as you believe, you will end by believing as you
behave."
-Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen.