[b-hebrew] Nefesh - Breath or Breather

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Tue Apr 24 04:20:09 EDT 2007

Dear "Brak" (or is it John? - please sign you posts in such a way that we
know who we are answering),

Think of the expression "a living soul" in English. The "soul" is somthing
that all living beings (or at least humans - I have no intention of opening
up a debate on that) have - and so one may refer to all people as "living
souls", as in, "I walked down the street, and there was not a living soul
there".

While Nefe$ Xayah is more "spirit" then "soul", the ancients considered a
person's breathing as evidence of his being alive - thus the use of the same
word for "spirit" and for "breath". "Ne$amah" has a similar meaning. So you
might translate vss. 20, 21, 24 as "beathing, living creatures" (even for
fish!), and 30 as "creatures with the breath of life".

Yigal Levin