[b-hebrew] Nefesh - Breath or Breather

Brak Brak at neo.rr.com
Tue Apr 24 03:36:07 EDT 2007

In Gen 1:20, 1:21, 1:24, and 1:30  we have the phrase NEFE$ XAY.FH

In 1:20, 1:21, and 1:24 the phrase is usually translated as "living
creature".
But in 1:30 it is usually translated as "breath of life".

So it appears that in 1:20,21,24 NEFE$ XAY.FH  is being translated to be
referring to the item being spoken of (the "breather"), while in 1:30 is
appears to be translated as something which the item being spoken of has
(the "breath").

Can someone help me make heads or tails of this.

--

B"H
John Steven

"If you don't behave as you believe, you will end by believing as you
behave."
-Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen.