[b-hebrew] Psalm 8: 6[5] Teaterehu

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Mon Apr 23 07:43:46 EDT 2007

Philip,

Harold has given us a good, formal, text-book, analysis of the verb
in question. Here is how I see it:

1. Every Hebrew word, verb as well as noun, consists of just a root
plus personal pronouns (also attached prepositions, or single letter
function words, but we shall leave it out for now). In a verb the
personal pronouns refer to the actors. In a noun the personal
pronouns refer to the thing itself.

2. The personal pronouns appear as "prefixes", "suffixes" and
"infixes". Not to be confused with the radical letters, the
internally inserted personal pronouns are just the vowels U (O) and I
(E).

3. The root of TeATREHU of Psalms 8:6 is obviously (TR, [where the
symbol ( = AYIN, and where T is TET]. What is the meaning of (TR?
Firstly, an indication is given us contextually. Secondly, the root
(TR contains the telltale letter R. Every Hebrew root containing the
letter R refers to a state of dispersion or aggregation. You can
verify this by looking up all Hebrew roots containing this letter.
You need to be careful, though, not to confuse the metaphoric meaning
of a root with its inherent concrete meaning. Thirdly, It stands to
reason that the 3000, or so, roots of the Hebrew language belong to
but a few grand trait families of common basic meaning. The root (TR
is a member of the family of roots:

) = ALEF:
)DR, )ZR, )TR [T = TET], )SR, )CR, )$R, )TR [T = TAV]

( = AYIN:
(DR, (ZR, (TR, (CR, ($R, (TR [T = TAV].

The family is actually much bigger---the root KTR (T=TAV), for
instance, is also closely related to the root (TR, as, indeed, ATARAH
= KETER, 'crown, wreath', nearly. So, the root (TR essentially means:
'pile up', 'gather around', 'encompass', 'group together', 'crowd
together; metaphorically: 'richly and roundly endow', 'bestow in
abundance or lavishly'.

4. Now to the associated personal pronouns. TeATREHU = T-ATR-E-HU, or
in full: TeATREHU = ATAH-ATR-HI-HU, where both ATAH and HI refer to
the actor, here God, and HU to the beneficiary of God's providence,
here ENOSH, BEN-ADAM.

5. In the case of a female actor it is: TA-ATR-YI-HU, where YI is
what is left of HYI), 'she'. In the case of a female beneficiary it
is: TA-ATR-E-HA, where HA is all is left now of HYI), 'she'.

Notice that a personal pronoun, when in need of complementing, may be
doubly positioned, before and after the root. For instance:

TI$LAX = TI-$LAX, 'you will send' (male)

TI$LeXYI = TI-$LeX-YI, 'you will send' (female)

TI$LeXU = TI-$LeX-U, 'you will send' (male plural)

TI$LAXNAH = TI-$LAX-NAH, 'you will send' (female plural).

6. Since all the language has to build up on is roots (which are by
themselves composites, I think) and personal pronouns, it tends to
use the latter in profusion, particularly to gradually enlarge the
scope of a characterization. Consider the following examples from
current Hebrew:

ENOSH (HINO-ISH?), 'human'

ENOSHYI = ENOSH-HI, 'humane, human-he' (male).

ENOSHYIT = ENOSH-HI-AT, 'humane, human-she' (female).

ENOSHUT = ENOSH-HU-AT, 'humanity'.

ENOSHYIUT = ENOSH-HI-HU-AT, 'humaneness'.

* ENOSHYIUTIUT = ENOSH-HI-HU-AT-HI-HU-AT, 'the essence of humaneness'.

I have marked the last example by an asterisk as it is not in the
dictionary for ENOSH, but I have encountered this same bloated
construction for other nouns.

Isaac Fried, Boston University