[b-hebrew] Psalm 149:7 - Leningrad Codex Varient: Bal-Umim

pporta at oham.net pporta at oham.net
Sun Apr 22 06:25:02 EDT 2007

> Let me restate what I think I'm hearing:
>
> )UM.IYM means "peoples"
> L: means "to" or "for"
>
> L:)UM.IYM means "peoples"
>
> But L:)UM.IYM  does not mean L: plus )UM.IYM
>
> That just doesn't make sence. Both )UM.IYM  and L:)UM.IYM  look
> identical except the one has L: added and they both mean the same thing
> "peoples" but yet they are not related????
_____________________

NOUN 1       --------- )UM.IYM (Psa 149:7) comes from )UM.FH, nation, people
(that does not appear in the Bible, I think).
Then, plural ---------  )UM.IYM = nations (cf Psa 117:1, last word). But
also )UM.WOT (Num 25:15)

NOUN 2  -----------    L:)UM.IYM (Psa 67:5) comes from L:(OM, nation, people
(Pro 14:28).
Then, L:)UM.IYM = nations, peoples.

But if we prefix a lamed to noun 1, namely L:)UM.IYM, we get "to nations" (I
think it does not appear in the Bible).

Summing up:

a) lamed + noun 1 = to nations, to peoples.
b) noun 2 = nations, peoples

So, in a given context a word such as L:)UM.IYM can mean either:

a) to nations, to peoples
or
b) nations, peoples.

But, let us be aware that a) is feminine but b) is masculine. So, if an
adjective is to be attached to this noun a), it will be in feminine gender.
And if it has to be attached to noun b) it will be in masculine gender.

But since they come, as said, from different bases they are not related,
even if they essentially have the same meaning.

I think there must be some similar cases in other languages. That is to say:
two words that are formally identical, that mean the same thing but........
that are not mutually related... because they come from different root
bases.

I wonder, John, if the case you are dealing with ....... is a very special
(unique?) case.

Pere Porta