[b-hebrew] Psalm 8: 6[5] Teaterehu

Harold Holmyard hholmyard3 at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 21 07:28:04 EDT 2007

Philip wrote:

>   According to Benjamin Davidson’s Analytical Hebrew and Chaldee Lexicon, (Michigan: Zondervan Publishing House, 1970), page 768, the verb UhreF.;faT4 (teaterehu) in MT Psalm 8:6[5] is formed from a combination of a third person singular feminine imperfect piel verb, rF.;faT4 (teater) (rF.;faT4 (teater) is derived from the root verb, rFafA (tatar) meaning, I surround, I encompass),[1] and the third person singular masculine suffix, Uh (ho) meaning, him; UhreF.;faT4 (teaterehu) therefore literally meaning, ‘she will crown him’.[2]
>
>   However this analysis of the verb, UhreF.;faT4 in MT Psalm 8:6[5] does not seem to fit the context of Psalm 8:6[5].

HH: The verb form is parsed in Accordance as a second person masculine
singular form. In the imperfect, whether Qal, Niphal, Piel, Pual,
Hiphil, Hophal, or Hithpael, the third person feminine singular and the
second person masculine singular have the same form. That seems to be
the issue here. But since God is the subject, it is the second person
masculine singular that is intended.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard