[b-hebrew] labo' lepaney and Gen 6:13

B. M. Rocine brocine at twcny.rr.com
Sat Apr 21 07:25:23 EDT 2007

Hi Yonah,

Yonah Mishael wrote:
> Bryan,
>
> I think that in this particular situation, it is an idiom for the idea
> of the arrival of the appropriate time for something. In other words,
> HaShem is saying that the proper time for the destruction of all
> living things had arrived.

I think you are stating here the common understanding of the idiom,
which I understand, but I think there is another possible understanding.
> It doesn't have anything to do with "the
> end" having an audience with HaShem.

I didn't mean to say that the end had an audience.  If the idiom _labo'
lipney_ is typically used of someone coming into the audience of a great
authority, a certain kind of baggage comes along with the Hebrew
writier's use of the idiom as as shared with the Hebrew readers.  The
baggage is that of "a scene of supplication."  Who would I suggest was
the supplicant?  I don't know.  All that was good, I guess--Noah, the
elephants, the horses, the bumblebees, the trees, the hills, the sky.
The world had become a terrible place and all that was good felt
threatened.  The earth itself groaned.
> It just means that the
> consequence that people's behaviors had merited was destruction, and
> the proper time for it arrived — and HaShem was, therefore, going into
> action against the world in punishment of their violence and iniquity.
>
> What do you think?

I think you are right, but I think there are a few glimpses of another
side to the decision.  The decision to flood the world was one of anger
and grief at unrighteousness to be sure.  But it was also one of love.
That is, HaShem loved Noah and the animal kingdom, so He saved them.  So
maybe even the idiom in question suggests HaShem saved them from a
violent world before the violent world could destroy all life.  It was
indeed the proper time for action.

Shalom,
Bryan