[b-hebrew] labo' lepaney and Gen 6:13

B. M. Rocine brocine at twcny.rr.com
Fri Apr 20 11:44:46 EDT 2007

B-Haverim,

Gen 6:13  kets kol basar ba' lepanay
"an end of all flesh has come before me"

Generally the idiom "labo' lepaney" refers to having an audience, as
with a king or YHWH.  Occasionally it refers to leading a military force
into battle.  Gen 6:13 is different in that it is the only time the
idiom has a thing rather than a person as subject, specifically _kets
kol basar_.

So I take it to mean *the idea* of annihilation gained an audience with
YHWH, that is "came to his mind," right?

I note that the cause of annihilation is not specified.  Might the
expression leave open the possibility that annihilation was about to be
caused by man's own violence (apart from the flood)?  In other words,
there is a *possibility* that the clause quoted above refers to YHWH's
intuition that all life was about to end as a result of man's violence.
Is that right?

I think it's an interesting question because the supplicant who gains
audience before a great power typically does so as a means of gaining
salvation.  Perhaps the Hebrew gives greater voice than our extant
English translations to the idea that YHWH was intervening in an emergency.

Shalom,
Bryan

--
B.M. Rocine