[b-hebrew] Hebrew grammar books

Yitzhak Sapir yitzhaksapir at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 10:11:51 EDT 2007

On 4/20/07, Isaac Fried wrote:

> I have never encountered a Hebrew Hebrew-Grammar-book claiming
> that it is specifically for "biblical Hebrew". The English books (say
> Seow's) asserting that they are for biblical Hebrew just mean that
> all their examples are from the Hebrew bible, and that their grammar
> is adjusted for the agreed English translation of the bible.

There doesn't seem to be any modern grammar book in Hebrew for
Hebrew that is specifically for Biblical Hebrew.  The closest thing
appears to be "Lashon Mikra veLashon Hakhamim" by Bendavid from
1972 (first edition in the 1950s).  All modern grammar books in Hebrew
deal with Modern Hebrew alone.  Using them for Biblical/Tiberian
Hebrew may be convenient for Hebrew speakers, but wrong.

Yitzhak Sapir