[b-hebrew] Hebrew grammar books

Harold Holmyard hholmyard3 at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 19 21:22:15 EDT 2007

Dear Kenneth,

> I should get a good Hebrew grammar book, but they are either too easy
> or too hard. The ones I can understand don't go into all of the
> details. The ones that go into all of the details of Hebrew grammar
> are written by scholars, and scholars seem to like to use the hardest
> words they can think of even if they are only explaining simple
> things. I would need a translator to understand what scholars write. I
> am not putting down scholars, but they expect people to be as educated
> as they are, and they don't explain higher level things using easy words.

HH: What you need are some so-called "intermediate Hebrew" tools. A book
that would be fun is _A Workbook for Intermediate Hebrew_, by Robert B.
Chisholm, Jr. It combines exegesis of Jonah and Ruth with grammatical
pointers:

http://www.amazon.com/Workbook-Intermediate-Hebrew-Exegesis-Commentary/dp/0825423902

A very inexpensive grammar is Intermediate Hebrew Grammar (paperback),
by Andrew E. Steinmann (Author)

http://www.amazon.com/Intermediate-Hebrew-Grammar-Andrew-Steinmann/dp/1589396111

Yours,
Harold Holmyard